Eight seconds may not sound like a long time to wait for anything. It only takes eight seconds before the barista calls out your name and your coffee is ready. That is fast. Now ask a bull rider how long he thinks eight seconds is and thoughts such as eternity and time just stops will likely emerge. For a bull rider, eight seconds means straddling a bull weighing well over a thousand pounds. Pure muscle, brute force, lightning agility, and snorting temper come together to earn names such as “widowmaker,” “bushwhacker,” and “tornado.” It is no wonder then that riders turn to a higher power at the back of the chutes moments before a ride. Rodeos in Texas have come to epitomize the Lone Star culture.
Whether the spotlight is from a small hometown or a big city stadium, the cowboy dream will always be as big as the state. Join Austin-native and Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Rodolfo (Rudy) Gonzalez in documenting the grit and determination of the rodeo cowboy.
Why take this experience
- Get unhinged access and behind-the-scenes photo ops contestants, family members, rodeo clowns
- Rub shoulders with cowboys and bull riders as they warm up, prepare, stare eye-to-eye with near one-ton bulls and high-energy bucking horses
- Experience and document the Central Texas weekend experience that is so inherently a lifestyle of the local community
- Work side-by-side with Rudy Gonzalez as he shares his approach to breaking the ice with cowboys, working backstage, and spotting key moments as the rodeo action unfolds
- Partake in some of the most iconic Texas BBQ along with the experience (before or after) and bands playing two-stepping, boot-scootin’ music for an authentic Central Texas experience
- Going beyond the single image to shape a visual story
- Seeing and shooting moments before the moment
- Developing your own “rodeo” aesthetic
- Breaking the ice and engaging with cowboys behind-the-scenes
- Working with the Leica M rangefinder system in a fast-paced environment (optional)
Location: Austin, Texas or other locations depending on the date.
Participants: 1 only
Duration: approx. 6 hours (depending on rodeo events) A specific meeting time and location will be arranged with your instructor.
Inclusions: entry fees and donations, permits, and a Texan-style BBQ dinner
Exclusions: travel to and from Austin, accommodation, and local transportation
Gear Recommendation: fast lens (f/1.8 or faster), wide-angle preferred, a second body with a telephoto will be handy
Some locations will require one to two-hour travel from Austin, TX. This travel time is separate from the actual workshop experience. Please contact us directly at Akademie@Leicacamerausa.com if you would like more details about a specific date and rodeo location.