Some photographers find themselves so deeply enmeshed in dance, they become inextricable from the troupes they shoot – like Jack Mitchell and Alvin Ailey. This course covers the approach to dance and movement photography from the Los Angeles Dance Project’s Artist-In-Residence, Josh S. Rose. It will provide all the tools and approaches one needs to know when diving into this genre and prepare the participant to be in control of their shoot.
This experience will take place along the beaches of the West Side, or Downtown L.A., at various locations. With a dancer(s) on hand, those taking this workshop will experience mixing the beautiful world of dance in the concrete jungle. Though dancers will be the main focus of activity and exercises, anyone photographing “movement” in their photography will benefit from this Leica Experience.
With Josh leading this experience with his Leica M, Leica M owners are sure to benefit from this workshop.
Why take this experience
- An approach to using and mastering manual settings when shooting dancers and movers, using your Leica M.
- See the various locations of Downtown where Josh photographs the World of Dance through his lens.
- Optimize your framing & focus with your M
- During Lunch/Dinner, Josh will share some of his post-production tips on how he achieves his black and white images.
- A variety of creative approaches to your settings and shooting style that you can pull from in any situation to different looks at will
- How to collaborate and give direction to dancers, choreographers, and movers
- How to find and capture that one shot in a routine, move, or action
- Capturing movement with the Leica M body
Location: Choices between Downtown L.A, West Side Beach Cities
Participants: 1 person only
Duration: approx. 6 hours
Inclusions: Dancer / Model fee and instruction with Josh Rose.
Exclusions: Travel to and from the learning location, accommodation, and local transportation
Gear Recommendation: Leica M Rangefinder