Driving along the iconic coastline of Highway 1 in California, you’ll stumble upon the most extraordinary sandy beaches and redwood forests that have captivated some of the most prodigious artists to have shaped photographic history — Edward Weston, Wynn Bullock, and Ansel Adams. The mystical and surreal landscape emanates creative energy which attracts artists from around the world to create in its enchantment. This Mecca will serve as a point of inspiration and backdrop for you to capture the fine art nude figure with world-renowned photographic artist Mark de Paola in an exclusive one-on-one setup.
This Leica experience offers you the opportunity to work with one of DePaola’s finest art muses and produce a timeless collection of images in just one afternoon.
Why take this experience?
- Experience the Monterey peninsula, while exploring the same hallowed grounds that inspired the F64 group and other legends of the photographic genre.
- Work under the guidance and unfiltered perspective from world-renowned photographer Mark de Paola.
- Discover the outer limits of what your equipment has to offer.
- Observe and learn Mark de Paola’s approach to working with natural light on-location
- Discuss the relationship between your personal journey in life and photography and how this can translate into developing your individual voice in the fine art genre.
- Come away from this experience with a fine art nude portfolio of 5-10 final images.
- Following your session, receive a written critique of the final selects from Mark de Paola.
- A brief photographic history of the Monterey Peninsula in relation to fine art photography.
- Professional protocol when working with a fine art nude model
- Explore the elements of storytelling in a still medium.
- How the neurobiology of human vision may be incorporated into the way you shoot the figure.
- How to identify visual cues and patterns in your work unique to your photographic style.
- Techniques in rendering portraiture subjects, without any need for post-production.
- Specific goals to pursue moving forward with your fine art work.
Location: Big Sur, CA (20 mins south of Carmel, CA)
Participants: 1 person
Duration: approx. 7 hours, plus an emailed review of images
Inclusions: All instruction, location, production, and model fees.
Exclusions: Travel to and from Big Sur, accommodation, and local transportation
Gear Recommendation: Equipment that is easily manageable in an on-location, outdoor environment. Less is more.
OPEN SESSIONS - July and November 2022