The Story Behind the Leica Watch
Capturing time requires precision engineering and mechanical excellence. Each is essential to the art of photography.
To facilitate the accurate measurement of time, Leica has chosen the ergonomic efficiency of a fine timepiece to expand its commitment to the decisive moment.
Leica Watches L1 and L2 are timekeeping analogs to Leica's fine optical and photographic instruments. Carrying Leica DNA from the lens-like domed sapphire crystal to the red-dot emblazoned push-piece crown, they bring "Das Wesentliche" from the visual realm to the temporal.
In the spirit of Ernst Leitz's words: "Ich entschiede hiermit, es wird riskiert *," Dr. A. Kaufmann has brought many partners together to design the first watch made at Leitz Park, Wetzlar, Germany.
To achieve the venerable "Made in Germany" status, Leica's "Ernst Leitz Werkstätten" has partnered with Lehmann Präzision of the Black Forest region to develop the completely new watch movement. Professor Achim Heine of Berlin University of Arts translated extensive knowledge of the company's design principles to this new medium.
The results are distinct statement pieces, built with uncompromising quality and sophistication.
Markus Lehmann – The parent company “Lehmann Präzision” supplies high-precision parts for the construction industry, as well as machinery for the watchmaking industry
Achim Heine is a professor of product design at the Berlin University of arts. He developed numerous designs for Leica cameras and binoculars between 1999 and 2008.
- Leica font from the cap of the Leica M6 with capital lettering and naming of its roots in Wetzlar
- Diamond-cut rhodium-plated indices and hands
- Highly domed watch crystal, reminiscent of the spherical front element of a camera lens
- Red ceramic inlay (homage to the Leica M designers LudwigLeitz II and Heinrich Janke (father of the Leica "red dot")
- MOVEMENT: LMH1 | In-house manual winding | 26 rubies | 28.800 A/h | power reserve 60h
- COMPLICATIONS: patented push-crown-system | hours | minutes | small second | date window incl. quickset date | mode indicator | stop-second | power reserve indicator | second time zone GMT 12-hour bezel (Leica L2 only) | day/night indicator (Leica L2 only) | GMT crown (Leica L2 only)
- CASE: Stainless steel | Ø 41mm | Height: 14,5mm | Water-resistant: 50 m | Lug Width: 21m
- FRONT: anti-reflecting sapphire crystal | domed
- BACK: anti-reflecting sapphire crystal | screwed
AT A GLANCE
- 41mm Stainless Steel Case
- In-house Manual Winding Movement
- GMT Complication with Day/Night Indicator
- 28,800 A/h with 60-Hour Power Reserve
- Made in Germany
Leica Camera AG (‘LEICA’) provides a two-year product warranty for this LEICA product, including the accessories contained in the original packaging, valid from the date of purchase from an authorized LEICA dealer.