For more than 100 years, Leica Camera AG has been a synonym for cameras and lenses with permanent values such as reliability, consistency, and quality. With analog photography experiencing a renaissance –the new Leica M6 represents Leica Camera’s continued commitment to these values.
The Leica M6 from 2022 relies on a modern version of the Leica M rangefinder with a 0.72x magnification. Furthermore, all of its optical surfaces are now coated and thus less sensitive to stray light. The light meter in the latest M6 now shows the correct exposure via a red dot in addition to the two arrow symbols originally used. Additionally, it is equipped with a battery warning indicator. The top cover has also been redesigned: while the cover of the preceding model was made of diecast zinc, it is now milled from solid brass and enhanced with an abrasion-resistant black lacquer. The exposure meter in the M6 measures light via a brightened area on the mechanically controlled cloth shutter. Like the original from 1984, the new edition of the M6 is also adorned with the red Leitz logo.
The M6 remains true to itself and preserves all other typical character traits such as the slanted rewind crank for the film. Handmade in Germany, it is an extremely reliable companion for all those who appreciate the lasting and contemplative nature of analog photography.
The legendary Leica M6 is an icon. Intuitive, compact and discreet, it allows you to get up close to the action – and to real emotions. Since 1984, it has been the camera of choice for many of the world's best photographers, who have used it to create countless iconic images. In a world that is moving faster than ever, analogue photography is experiencing a renaissance, as people embrace traditional values like reliability, trust and quality. People want cameras with a soul. Like the Leica M6. Embodying only the essentials, it reflects a conscious rejection of countless features in favour of focussing on what’s necessary. To revisit photography as an active, creative process and to tell intimate stories. The new Leica M6. The rebirth of an icon "Made in Germany“.
The Leica M6 essentials:
- 0.72x Viewfinder with Coated Glass Surfaces
- Solid Brass Top Plate Enhanced with Abrasion Resistant Black Lacquer
- Red Leitz Logo
- Original M6 Style Packaging
- New Light Meter Indicator with Battery Warning
- New Leica M6 Style ISO Dial, Newly Developed with Modern Electronic Components Inside
- Leather Carrying Strap with Embossed LEICA lettering
- New Black Leatherette with Leica M6 Typical "MADE IN GERMANY" Embossing
- Made in Germany
AT A GLANCE
- Brass Top Plate
- Updated Light Meter with Battery Indicator
- Made in Germany
IN THE BOX
- Leica M6 Rangefinder Camera
- Leather Carrying Strap
- Body Cap
- Camera type:Analogue rangefinder system camera (35 mm)
- Material:Closed full metal housing, Top cover and bottom cover: brass, black finish
- Lens mount:Leica M bayonet
- Operating conditions:+0 to +40°C
- Interfaces:ISO accessory shoe
- Tripod thread:A 1⁄4 DIN 4503 (1⁄4”) with stainless steel in the base
- Weight:575g (without battery)
- Viewfinder:Large, bright-line rangefinder with automatic parallax compensation
- Parallax compensation:The horizontal and vertical difference between viewfinder and lens is compensated automatically in line with the relevant focus setting. Congruence of viewfinder and actual image. The size of the bright-line frame matches the distance:
- – at 2 m: the exact sensor size of approx. 23.9 x 35.8 mm
- – at infinity: (depending on focal length) approx. 7.3% (28 mm) to 18% (135 mm)
- – less than 2 m: less than sensor size
- Viewfinder magnification:x0.73 (all lenses)
- Wide-base rangefinder:Split or superimposed image rangefinder shown as a bright field at the center of the viewfinder image
- Shutter type:Focal plane shutter with rubber liner, mechanically controlled
- Shutter speeds:Mech. shutter: 1 s - 1⁄1000 s
- Flash Synch: up to 1⁄50 s
- Shutter release:Two-stage: Power up (activation of exposure meter) – Release. Integrated standard cable release thread.
- Film Winding
- LoadingManual with quick wind lever or LEICAVIT M, motorized with LEICA MOTOR-M, LEICA WINDER-M, LEICA WINDER
- RewidingManual with telescopic rewind knob
- Frame counterOn top of camera. Automatic reset after removal of bottom cover.
- Focus range:70 cm to ∞
- Focus mode:Manual
- Exposure metering:TTL (exposure metering through the lens)
- Metering principle:Exposure metering is done by the image sensor for all exposure metering methods (in Live View mode and in rangefinder mode)
- Exposure metering:TTL (exposure metering through the lens), with working aperture
- Metering cell:Silicon photo diode with convex lens to the top left behind the camera bayonet.
- Film speed range:Manual setting from ISO 6/9° to ISO 6400/39°.
- Metering Principle:The light reflected by a metering spot in the center of the 1st shutter curtain is metered. The metering spot has a diameter of 12mm and therefore corresponds to approx. 13% of the full negative format or around 2/3 of the short side of the corresponding frame in the viewfinder.
- Exposure control mode:Manual shutter speed and aperture setting, adjustment using LED light balance.
- Flash unit coonnection:Via accessory shoe
- Synchronization:On the 1st shutter curtain
- Flash sync speed:1/50s; slower shutter speeds possible.
- Flash exposure control:Via computer control of flash unit or via guide number calculation and manual setting for the required aperture. Power Supply
- Power Supply:2 Silver oxide button cells (PX76/SR44) or 1 Lithium battery (DL1/3N)
Camera body, camera box, leather carrying strap, battery, instructions, warranty card.
Leica Camera AG (‘LEICA’) provides a three-year Passport warranty for this LEICA camera valid from the date of purchase from an authorized LEICA dealer in the U.S.